Are you feeling anxious, stressed, or unable to focus these days? Take a look around you – clutter, mess, or an untidy work area can definitely overwhelm some people. Some might try a mindfulness hack when stressed out, but for others, giving your surroundings a quick clean-up can be just the push you need to clear your mind.
Experts agree that a tidy, organized space can improve your mental health by offering:
- A sense of clarity and control.
- Improved quality of life.
- A boosted sense of confidence.
- Increased productivity.
- A more tranquil atmosphere.
Sounds like a win-win to us!
We get it; after a long day of work fland things to do, the last thing you may want to do to de-stress is to come home and clean. Many people associate cleaning with labor; however, there are several reasons why cleaning can be a great stress reliever.
If you're struggling with where to start, we've thought of a few tips that can help clear the way for more tranquility in your homes and lives:
Cultivate a mindful approach:
- Organizing is a great chance to practice or refine your mindfulness skills. When you commit to single-tasking, make sure to give whatever you're doing the attention it deserves. This mindful approach can make the most mundane task a little more interesting. When you increase your enjoyment, you increase the likelihood that you'll want to do it again.
Cleaning as an exercise in gratitude:
- Have you tried taking the opportunity to be thankful for each task you do while cleaning? Picture this: you are washing dishes, admiring your plates and being grateful for the food that you're scraping off, taking in the wonder of modern technology as you load the dishwasher. This is a great mindfulness hack in creating inner peace by bringing a new level of gratitude for all that you have.
Have fun with it:
- Not into that zen vibe? That's okay! Why not go in the other direction, and turn your cleaning experience into a mini party? Music has tremendous stress-relief benefits, and playing music as you clean can make the activity way more fun. Play your favorite playlist while you clean, and you may work faster and be done sooner. Dance those stresses away!
- When you aim to minimize your carbon footprint, you can also improve your emotional well-being. By switching to a green lifestyle, you open yourself up to healthier living habits and a better quality of life – all while saving money on energy bills. It's an instant mood booster knowing you're consciously reducing your impact on the environment!
If cleaning helps ease your stress, reduce your anxiety, and improve your mood, we say to keep at it! Remember that there are times when things won't go as planned, and you won't be able to clean. It's a day-by-day thing – you got this!