Skip to main content

Keeping Your Pets Safe: 5 Common Cleaning Products That Can Harm Your Pets

  • |
  • Lemi Shine

Hey there, pet lovers! Did you know that a surprising 8.3% of pet poison calls are linked to household cleaning products? It's a shocking fact that really makes you think twice about what's under your sink, right? Well, fear not! In this post, we're diving deep into the sneaky dangers hiding in your cleaning cabinets. But don't worry, we're not here to scare you. We're here to arm you with knowledge and introduce you to a game-changer: Lemi Shine. Because here at Lemi Shine, we're all about keeping your home squeaky clean and your furry friends safe and sound.

Let's get started, shall we?

Understanding Toxic Ingredients:
Many household cleaners contain a cocktail of toxic chemicals that can be harmful to both humans and pets. Let's take a closer look at some of the most common culprits:

1. Ammonia: Found in products like glass cleaners and oven cleansers, ammonia can cause irritation to the respiratory tract, eyes, and skin. In pets, inhalation or ingestion of ammonia can lead to nausea, vomiting, and even respiratory distress.

2. Bleach and Chlorine: These powerful disinfectants are commonly found in bleach-based cleaners and toilet bowl cleaners. While effective at killing germs, they can also cause respiratory irritation and, in severe cases, chemical burns if ingested or if they come into contact with the skin or eyes.

3. Formaldehyde: Often used as a preservative in cleaning products, formaldehyde is a known carcinogen and respiratory irritant. Pets exposed to formaldehyde may experience symptoms such as coughing, difficulty breathing, and irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat.

4. Phenol: Found in disinfectants, air fresheners, and toilet bowl cleaners, phenol can cause skin and respiratory irritation in pets. Ingestion of phenol can lead to symptoms such as drooling, vomiting, and abdominal pain.

5. Isopropyl Alcohol: Commonly used as a solvent in cleaning products, isopropyl alcohol can cause irritation and toxicity if ingested or if it comes into contact with the skin or eyes. Symptoms of isopropyl alcohol poisoning in pets may include depression, weakness, and difficulty breathing.

Protecting Your Pets:
Given the potential dangers posed by these toxic ingredients, it's crucial to take steps to safeguard your pets from exposure to harmful cleaners. Consider switching to pet-safe alternatives like Lemi Shine, which are formulated without harsh chemicals and are EPA Safer Choice Certified. Lemi Shine's range of cleaning products has been rigorously tested to ensure they're both effective and safe for use around pets.

Your pet's safety is paramount, especially when it comes to something as seemingly innocuous as household cleaning products. By educating yourself about the potential risks associated with harmful ingredients and making the switch to pet-safe alternatives like Lemi Shine, you can create a cleaner, safer home environment for your furry friends. 

Recommended Reads

Save Money and Time: Budget-Friendly Hacks for Cleaning Kitchen Appliances
DIY Drain Cleaner: Lemi Shine's Drain Cleaning Hack
Keep it Clean: Step-by-Step Cleaning for Your Front-Load Washer
Quick Bathroom Cleaning Tips: Daily Habits for a Tidy Home
Descaling and Cleaning Your Humidifier with Citric Acid